Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy? New Year!

Happy New Year!

OK.  Now that that is out of the way.  Am I the only one wondering why this New Year's seems so "positive?"  My Facebook feed is full of "looking forward to a great year" and "best year yet!"  I admit that I am a tad on the negative side today, but it just seems like the messages of "Thank God this year is over" just aren't there this year.  I dunno.  Maybe it's just me. I am also wondering about that whole Mayan Calendar thing, but I have bigger fish to fry.

Camp Asperger's or, as I like to think of it, my life has become more, well, animated as of late.  First, winter break is exactly the opposite.  Out of routine, no regular bedtime, along with lots and lots of sweets equals screaming, crying, fighting, and apologizing.  Unfortunately, that sums up my behavior as much as the kids'.  My hubby is still away at work.  He was supposed to be home for Thanksgiving, but then he was sent to another job in Alabama.  Now that job is almost a month over the finish date and I will be thankful if he is able to fly home sometime before the 5th of January.  So, no Dad at Christmas threw another monkey wrench into the mix.  That was sooooo not fun.  I really was never cut out to be a single mom.

Oh wait.  This is supposed to be a blog about living with Asperger's in the boonies, not my personal whining.  Sorry 'bout that. 

One of the behaviors that I mentioned above, the sticking fingers in the ears, is one of the most annoying we've ever seen.  He uses it to block out anyone and everyone speaking to him.  While he has his fingers in his ears he is usually saying, "Stop."  Sometimes, especially with me and his developmental therapist, he will add a "Shut up!" or two.

I'm sure that if you are a parent, you are thinking "WHAAAAAT!"  Trust me, the first few times he did that to me, I freaked.  Unfortunately, with this kid, freaking never works.  It might get me some short term victories, but it never works when it's an important life lesson.  As I type this, he just plugged his ears because his sister was trying to talk to him about Pringles.  Oi Vey.  I think we are going to have to learn to ignore this behavior to make it go away.  That isn't going to happen at school, so I foresee many phone calls and emails.

There are other behaviors, but almost too many to write about today.  I have a whole year for that, now don't I?  meh.

Life on Elk Meadows is {putting my fingers in my ears} Stop.  Shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment